BCT - Bachelor of Creative Technologies at AUT in Auckland is a multi-disciplinary 3-year degree. Students are asked to keep a blog of their journey, I'm a student, and this is my blog. No doubt I'll be explaining our projects as we go and my personal insights to them. Hopefully it will be mildly interesting.

22 July 2012

Project Ideas

This week before the next Smart Systems class we have to figure out a project to look into. I have 2 ideas, one is really kind of basic but kind of neat though not really useful in any way. It was a mechanical flower with a long stem that moved toward light. I had an idea of how it would move mechanically and it is pretty neat, it would wow people I think then it would just be a matter of programming it to sense the direction of light using an array of LDRs. It's all a bit basic though. Would impress people in year 2 but I think the standard (for me at least) should be a bit higher. I might still do it though, because as I said it's neat.
The other idea was something I came up with last year and wanted to use for the Dragons Den pitch that we had to do in year 2. The group I was in didn't seem too receptive to it, but a friend of mine reminded me about it when I told her of my location-aware project. It's a device that knows where a toddler is in relation to a driveway when a car is moving. There has been a spate of toddlers being run over in driveways over the years, enough to make one recognise it as a real problem in need of attention, and "good parenting" is clearly not the answer. Much the same way that "just eat less" is not the answer to obesity really.
I still need to read more on location awareness though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is this