BCT - Bachelor of Creative Technologies at AUT in Auckland is a multi-disciplinary 3-year degree. Students are asked to keep a blog of their journey, I'm a student, and this is my blog. No doubt I'll be explaining our projects as we go and my personal insights to them. Hopefully it will be mildly interesting.

22 July 2012

Recording

So far with Emerging practices I've only recorded a few small things. Today it rained and I was in the city. Unless I want to catch ambient noise of cars and rain (which I did for 2 minutes) I can't really record much. I recorded some meat sizzling in a frying pan. I'm a bit stuck as for what else to record. The thing that bugs me a lot is the sounds of the city and goddamn cars everywhere. This could be a theme but it's a bit clichéd. I guess at this point I could decide to record electric noise instead. Or both of course. Electric noise does appeal on some level as I like electronica and discovered that I like glitch a couple of years ago in Aural Terrains in year 1 (I didn't realise it was a genre which I guess is a bit naive really). Making it is something else, and circuit bending doesn't appeal much. I like some of the results of what I hear but it strikes me as rather laborious for a bunch of sounds that will probably sound like a bunch of other sounds from entirely different circuits. The uncalculated approach bothers me too. Many of the circuit benders I can image have no real idea what noise they will get because they don't know what they are actually doing aside from shorting a circuit. Which is why it's laborious of course. Sure, it's experimental, but it's also totally inefficient.  But I'll see what I can get. I have to give the zoom recorder back tomorrow which is a bit of a pain. I have recording equipment (a mac primarily, but I have a good USB soundcard and a studio mic) but none of it is portable.
What I have done is trawled through the reading list and written down the catalogue numbers of all the books and which libraries I can get them from. My plan is to read one book each week. I have taken one out and another one was in digital form. That is 2 books this week then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is this