BCT - Bachelor of Creative Technologies at AUT in Auckland is a multi-disciplinary 3-year degree. Students are asked to keep a blog of their journey, I'm a student, and this is my blog. No doubt I'll be explaining our projects as we go and my personal insights to them. Hopefully it will be mildly interesting.

11 September 2012

Crikey

I haven't been here for a while yet I've done so much. I still have a broken web application though. I'm stuck on creating a persistent session on the webapp. Information is thin. Well, if I was content to just sit and read loads of different tutorials or buy a comprehensive book on the subject I might be able to achieve it. I never feel I have the time to do that so I just try to muddle through.
I think I'll make more and shorter posts because so much information about what I've been doing relating to this project has been lost in regards to this blog.
I started creating a web application from scratch, then wondered how I'd turn radio buttons into segmented controls through styling. It turned out to be a bit difficult though not impossible and eventually I found my way to JQuery mobile which I started using to create the app. They've done all the hard stuff for me so I can concentrate more on just making the app. But it still wasn't plain sailing, I've written most of the PHP myself and I sort of wish I'd used some sort of framework for that too. But it's too late now I think. Maybe not... never know which path to take, you just have to go down one and stick to it. Last time I worked on the app I had quite a few bugs that resulted in a page loading into the app that simply said "undefined". Really helpful. I really dislike rushing along because of deadlines, I could do this so much better if it wasn't a uni project. I also have a load of conceptual and academic ideas on this project but I haven't written much down. I'm going to start a contextual statement in the next day or so. I just want to reach a milestone where sessions for example works. The path is slow.

Today I've picked up the app for the first time in over a week. I took a break from it to do other stuff. I hoped that doing so would clear my head somewhat. Not sure it has. PHP sessions don't seem to persist once a user has left the app for the home screen so they have to log in each time. So I'm looking into how cookies are set for sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is this